The latest Regional Tourism Satellite Account (RTSA) results for 2016-17 were released by Tourism Research Australia (TRA) on Friday 6 July.
Gross Regional Product
- In 2016-17 tourism contributed $15.7 billion to Melbourne’s economy (comprising $8.4 billion directly and $7.3 billion indirectly).
- The contribution of tourism to Victoria is $24.8 billion in GSP (comprising $12.2 billion directly and $12.6 billion indirectly).
- Tourism generated employment of an estimated 119,800 people in Melbourne (comprising 79,100 direct and 40,700 indirect jobs).
- Tourism in Victoria generated 214,500 jobs in Victoria (comprising 143,800 direct and 70,700 indirect jobs).
- More people are employed in tourism in Melbourne than in regional Victoria. Tourism employment in Melbourne contributes 56% of total tourism employment in the State.
The following summaries are available for download.
The Value of tourism to Victoria 2016-17
Victorian regional tourism satellite accounts summary - includes data for Melbourne
Please refer to the Tourism Industry Resources website for more information.