Melbourne E-sports Open returns in August

Following a successful inaugural event in 2018 that attracted 12,000 attendees, the 2019 Melbourne Esports Open promises to be even bigger.

League of Legends, Overwatch, Fortnite, and Pokémon tournaments all return, with the League of Legends OPL Finals in Rod Laver Arena on Saturday 31 August, followed by the Overwatch Contenders Australia Finals on 1 September.

Other tournaments will be played out in Margaret Court Arena, and the Open will also use the Melbourne Arena for activities including the JB Hi-Fi Game On Zone.

Victorian Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events Martin Pakula said: "Victoria is Australia's major events capital – and we're proud that the Melbourne Esports Open is returning to Melbourne and Olympic Parks in 2019. In 2018, the event transformed Rod Laver Arena into an esports arena to rival the greatest in the world – and expanding throughout the Olympic Park precinct in just its second year is testament to how quickly fans have embraced the event, with thousands expected to get involved in the festival this year."

The event is organised by TEG Live. Managing director Tim McGregor said, "The Melbourne Esports Open was an esports phenomenon in its inaugural showing last year, attracting 12,000 dedicated esports fans to the event, with over 600,000 unique livestream viewers tuning in online, and 12 million views on social media across the weekend.

Categories